The Kangra Fort is found twenty kilometers from the city of Dharamsala on the outskirts of the city of Kangra, India
The Kangra Fort was designed by the royal Rajput family of Kangra State (the Katoch dynasty), that traces its origins to the traditional Trigarta Kingdom, mentioned within the religious writing epic. it's the most important fort within the Himalayas and doubtless the oldest dated fort in Republic of India.
The fort of Kangra resisted Akbar's beleaguering in 1615. However, Akbar's son Jehangir with success subdued the fort in 1620. Kangra was at the time dominated by Raja Hari Chand Katoch of Kangra (also referred to as Raja Hari Chand II) Mughal Emperor Jahangir with the assistance of Suraj Mal garrisoned together with his troops.
The Katoch Kings repeatedly plundered Mughal controlled regions, weakening the Mughal management, aiding within the decline of Mughal power, Raja Sansar Chand II succeeded in sick the traditional fort of his ancestors, in 1789. prince Sansar Chand fought multiple battles with Gurkhas on one facet and Sikh King prince Ranjit Singh on the opposite. Sansar Chand wont to keep his neighboring Kings captive, and this LED to conspiracies against him. throughout a battle between the Sikhs and Katochs, the gates of the fort had been unbroken open for provides.
The Gurkha army entered the opened scarcely armed gates in 1806. This forced Associate in Nursing alliance between prince Sansar Chand and prince Ranjit Singh. due to the insufficiency of the necessity at intervals the fort once an extended war and unable to obtain any, the Gurkhas left the Fort. The Fort remained with the Katochs till 1828 once Ranjit Singh annexed it once Sansar Chand's death. The fort was finally taken by land once the Sikh war of 1846.
A British garrison occupied the fort until it was heavily damaged in an earthquake on 4 April 1905.
The entrance to the fort is through a small courtyard enclosed between two gates which were built during the Sikh period, as appears from an inscription over the entrance. From here a long and narrow passage leads up to the top of the fort, through the Ahani and Amiri Darwaza (gate), both attributed to Nawab Saif Ali Khan, the first Mughal Governor of Kangra. About 500 feet from the outer gate the passage turns round at a very sharp angle and passes through the Jehangiri Darwaza.
The Darsani Darwaza, which is now flanked by defaced statues of River Goddesses Ganga and Yamuna gave access to a courtyard, along the south side of which stood the shrines Lakshmi-Narayana Sitala and Ambika Devi. In between these shrines is a passage that leads up to the palace. It is one of the most beautiful forts in India.
he fort is right next to Kangra town. 32.1°N 76.27°E The fort stands on a steep rock in Purana Kangra (translates to Old Kangra) dominating the surrounding valley, built strategically at the "sangam" confluence (places where two rivers meet) of Banganga and Majhi rivers. It is said that Kangra belongs to one who owns the fort.
Also near to old Kangra is the famous Jayanti Mata temple on a hill top. The Temple was built by the General of the Gorkha Army, Bada Kaji Amar Singh Thapa. Also close to entrance is a small museum which exhibits the history of Kangra fort.
Jayanti Mata Temple – built by the General of the Gorkha, Bada Kaji Amar Singh Thapa
Adjoining the Fort is the Maharaja Sansar Chand Katoch Museum run by the Royal Family of Kangra. The Museum also provides audio guides for the fort and the museum and has a cafeteria.